Regular price $1,250.00

HISTORY: On April 11, 1981 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas world heavyweight champion Larry Holmes defended his title against Trevor Berbick. Holmes cruised to a unanimous 15 round decision. Holmes was a 50 to 1 favorite. Promoter Don King said Holmes would earn a little more than $500,000, and Berbick would get between $100,000 and $200,000. This was Berbick's first fight in the United States. Berbick entered the fight as the Canadian heavyweight champion and the WBC #5 heavyweight contender. Entering the fight against Berbick, Holmes had won eight straight title defenses by knockout, tying the record of Tommy Burns, the 5'7" Canadian who held the heavyweight title from 1906 to 1908, for the most consecutive knockout victories by a heavyweight champion. Berbick became the first challenger to go the distance with Holmes, preventing the champion from breaking Burns' record. Judge Joe Swessel scored every round for Holmes. He was the only person among the official judges and ringside media to do so. Berbick said he broke his left thumb in the first round. Former World Heavyweight Champion Joe Louis was ringside for the fight. He died of a heart attack the following morning. The Associated Press reported the following on April 13, 1981: Holmes didn't have much difficulty in winning a 15-round unanimous decision over Berbick at Caesars Palace Sports Pavilion Saturday night, but very few people, including Holmes, expected the bout to go the distance. "You can't take anyone lightly," said Holmes, who weighed 215 pounds. "I didn't take Trevor Berbick lightly, and he gave me a good fight. This man was so keyed up, so ready to fight. He took all I had to give and more. I even felt it wouldn't go eight. We all got fooled. I wasn't disappointed. I tried to take him out, but he refused to go." Holmes, of Easton, Pa., called Berbick the strongest fighter he ever faced... There were no knockdowns and neither fighter appeared to be hurt seriously or close to going down at any time. Berbick began the proceedings by taunting Holmes in the first round, and after the bell sounded, he seemed to unnerve the champion, who shoved him and turned to go to his corner. Berbick followed and accidentally pushed referee Mills Lane to the floor as the near-capacity crowd of about 4,500 roared. "I'm a professional, I didn't get upset," Holmes said when asked about the shoving incident. "I was playing the same game with him." Offered here is a scarce, original, on site poster for this event which has been signed by Larry Holmes.

FULL DESCRIPTION: This is an original, heavy paper, on site poster which pictures both fighters. Bold color and print. Bold, clear images. Boldly signed in lower left area by Larry Holmes in black sharpie. No center crease. No tack holes.Edge and corner wear. 22" x 28."

Size: 22 x 28

Condition: very good